How would you describe the communities we serve?
SCWIHERC 9-19-23 Meeting Notes
Passcode: see email from Jennifer on September 21
-Belle Koch of Sauk Prairie Healthcare gave an overview of a recent incident where a 2” water pipe burst and flooded their OB unit and seeped into several other areas, refer to recording for details.
-Mike Stephens of Fort HealthCare gave an overview of a recent event where severe weather resulted in a power outage causing the hospital to run on generator power for over 3 days including one of the chillers. Refer to recording for details.
-These events prompted a discussion on eICS (electronic ICS platform) and how hospitals use mass notification software (emergency notifications vs open clinical shifts), and who receives those.
-All HERCs have access to eICS and use it at a regional level to document response. All partners have the ability to link into SCWIHERC’s eICS for two-way information sharing. Follow up note: there is no discount for eICS through SCWIHERC.
-We held our hospital representative election after reviewing the nominations and bios of two candidates. Mike Stephens of Fort HealthCare was elected as the new hospital rep.
-Next hospital forum meeting is October 19 at noon, where we will do an overview and demonstration of RMCC operations.
SCWIHERC Updates: This year’s specialty annex theme is chemical hazards surge. SCWIHERC will be drafting a specialty surge annex on chemical hazards, and then we will conduct a TTX on this hazard at our May meeting. Additionally, we have a grant requirement of conducting a TTX on our Crisis Standards of Care Concept of Operations, which will be integrated into the chem surge tabletop. We will also be facilitating another Medical Response and Surge Exercise.
SCWIHERC Leadership is also working with other HERCs statewide on strategies to support long-term sustainability of the HERCs, and will periodically update at future SCWIHERC meetings.
Some recent updates with our Board of Directors: Aurielle Smith was re-elected to serve as Chair, Dave Kitkowski was elected to serve as Vice Chair, and Mike Stephens was elected as the new hospital representative at this meeting.
We reviewed a presentation and several resources related to whole community planning. The group came up with the word cloud featured above to describe the communities we serve.
The resources mentioned in this presentation are listed here, please note the addition of the CDC Places resource since the agenda was shared. Refer to the recording for the discussion and slides.
Whole Community Planning Resource Links:
- ACEP PLANNING CONSIDERATIONS FOR PERSONS WITH ACCESS AND FUNCTIONAL NEEDS IN A DISASTER: https://www.acep.org/siteassets/sites/acep/media/disaster-medicine/planning-for-persons-with-functional-needs-in-a-disaster.pdf
- ASPR Presentation Reviewing NACCHO Capacity-Building Toolkit: https://www.eventscribe.com/uploads/eventScribe/PDFs/2019/6206/895787.pdf
- CDC Access and Functional Needs Toolkit: https://www.cdc.gov/orr/readiness/00_docs/CDC_Access_and_Functional_Needs_Toolkit_March2021.pdf
- CDC/ATSDR Social Vulnerability Index: https://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/placeandhealth/svi/index.html
- CDC PLACES: Local Data for Better Health: https://www.cdc.gov/places/index.html
- CMIST Framework: https://www.phe.gov/emergency/events/COVID19/atrisk/discharge-planning/Pages/CMIST-framework.aspx
- CMIST Update: https://disasterstrategies.org/blog-post/defining-functional-needs-updating-cmist-by-june-isaacson-kailes-disability-policy-consultant/
- FEMA Inclusion, Diversity, Equity, and Accessibility in Exercises Considerations and Best Practices: https://preptoolkit.fema.gov/documents/d/hseep-resources/idea_guide_final?download=true
- FEMA National Risk Index: https://hazards.fema.gov/nri/
- NACCHO Capacity-Building Toolkit for including Aging & Disability Networks in Emergency Planning: https://www.naccho.org/uploads/downloadable-resources/NACCHO_Aging-and-Functional-Needs-Planning-FINAL.pdf
- Prepared4ALL: https://nationalcenterdph.org/our-focus-areas/emergency-preparedness/prepared4all/online-training/
- Prepared Caregivers: https://www.caregiver.va.gov/support/docs/Prepared_Military_Caregivers_Disaster_Relief_Toolkit_Final.pdf
- Public Health is for Everyone: https://www.phetoolkit.org/
Sharing lessons learned and best practices:
Rock County Health Department has been working on a tool to make better informed decisions on where to set up Points of Dispensing sites, they will keep us posted and also submitted an abstract for the NACCHO Preparedness Summit.
We talked a bit about Air Quality issues over the summer, especially on communications and messaging with the public. Strategized on sharing these messages through other leaders and offices so that the message wasn’t coming from public health, where we feel like there is messaging fatigue post-COVID.
Public Health Madison and Dane County shared their lessons learned from responding to this hazard.
Refer to recording for more details.
Next meeting will be November 14, 1-4PM
Mike Stephens- Fort HealthCare
Lisa Herritz- Ho-Chunk Nation
Christal Foreyt- Gundersen Boscobel
Victoria Parker- Watertown HD
Michael Niles- Rock County HD
Karen Nsiah-Ababio- Rock County HD
Tom Ellison- UW Health
Nathan Bubenzer- UPH Meriter
Tina Strandlie- Stoughton Health
Dave Kitkowski- St. Clare Baraboo and SCWIHERC
Tammy Kingery- Gundersen Moundview
Carmen Mihlbauer-Luther- Reedsburg AMC
Ben Thompson- Mercyhealth
Emily Kosterman- Waupun Memorial
Angie Cohen- Grant Regional
Geana Shemak- Iowa Co HD
Ian Fisher- Marshfield Health System
Ken Van Horn- PH Madison and Dane County
Belle Koch- Sauk Prairie Healthcare
Steve Haskell- UW Health
Ed Somers- Clearview
Erin Hastert- Lafayette Co HD
Sally Blackborn- Memorial Hospital of Lafayette Co
Mike Hall- SSM Health Monroe/Janesville
Haley Schreiber- St. Mary’s Janesville
Mary Tessendorf- Monroe Hospital
Jason Witte- WI DHS EMS
Jeff Ethington- UW Health OPO
Brooke Fuchs- Rainbow Hospice
Kara Takes- Unified Therapy
Jessie Phalen- Sauk Co HD
Lynn Skatrud- Green Co HD
Paige Heinke- SSM Health Home Care
Sean Madison- NIPARC
Jodie Molitor- Sauk Co HD
Darienne Blair- Columbia Co HD
Carrie Meier- Dane Co EM
Aurielle Smith- PH Madison and Dane Co, SCWIHERC
Leanne Seifert- Watertown RMC
Taylor Fish- Sauk Co PH
Kelly Heysinger- Unified Therapy
Jennifer Behnke- SCWIHERC